Heart Signal 2 is a dating reality TV show, which brings together a group of women and men together in the same house. Without further ado, let’s talk about the cast.
Oh Young Ju (27 years old)
If I had to use one word to describe her it would be poised. I’ll confess: Young Ju is my favorite so far. I love how natural she is. Like everyone else, she is here to play the game but she doesn’t try too hard (aka playing desperate). Sadly, I am worried this might not last long. She’s clearly shown interest in somebody who doesn’t seem to reciprocate her feelings. I hope she keeps it moving and finds somebody else to like.
Jung Jae Ho (28 years old)
Occupation: Founder of a IT startup
If I had to use one word to describe him it would be considerate. Jae Ho cares for every one in the house. This is something that I’ve noticed since the first episode. As one of the few people to arrive first in the house, he warmly welcomed all his other housemates. In addition, he often takes the lead but not in a overbearing way.
Kim Do Gyun (30 years old)
Occupation: Doctor of Korean medecine
If I had to use one word to describe him it would be rude. I have already cancelled Do Gyun. I don’t mind the fact that he’s cold but I hate how he acts toward Young Ju. He doesn’t seem into her at all while she seems quite into him. In the first episode, while they are all having dinner, Young Ju attempts to strike a conversation with Do Gyun and he gives her a half-baked answer. This abruptly stops their interaction. I get it: Maybe Do Gyun isn’t into her but he can retain a pretense of civility. I need Young Ju to stop liking him ASAP.
Lee Gyu Bin (25 years old)
Occupation: (Future) Public official
If I had to use one word to describe him it would be cute. Gyu Bin seems to be the less problematic among the guys. He seems down to earth and genuine. I love how you can read his emotions on his face. Like an open book. So far, he’s my favorite male protagonist. I would love for him to be with Young Ju. Fingers crossed.
Song Da Eun (27 years old)
Occupation: Aspiring Actress
If I had to use one word to describe her it would be warm. Da Eun is super sweet but in a natural manner. I loved how she kept encouraging Do Gyun when he was cooking in the second episode. Da Eun cheered him and lent a helping hand so spontaneously. This is probably why he might fall for her. I still don’t like Do Gyun but in all honesty, Da Eun and Do Gyun would probably make a cute couple.
Yim Hyun Ju (26 years old)
Occupation: College student
If I had to use one word to describe her it would be childlike. Hyun Ju is the character I am the least interested in but she’ll probably grow on me.
Kim Hyun Woo
If I had to use one word to describe him it would be charismatic. Hyun Woo was introduced in the second episode. I can tell straight away that the other guys feel a little threatened and I can’t blame them: (Hyun Ju and Da Eun had stars in their eyes when they saw Hyun Woo for the first time). He also has this aura of mystery about him so I can’t wait to learn more about him.
The concept of a dating reality TV show is nothing new in itself, but there are a few things that spice up the situation here:
- The inhabitants of the house are free to go to work but at night they must return to their new home. Thank God, they are not stuck in the house 24/7. We get to see them interacting with co-workers and friends, discovering different aspects of their personalities. This reminded me of the Japanese show Terrace House.
- Participants cannot directly declare their flame, which leads to a lot of flirting, including some awkward pickup strategies and lines.
- Each participant must text a person who makes their heart flutter at midnight every single day. The text messages are anonymous.
- There is a panel of love meteorologists who observe the cast and make predictions. Their predictions tend to be somewhat accurate, but I live for the few times when they totally mess it up.
- There are certain pieces of information that the the cast cannot reveal from the get go. For instance, the occupation for each was only revealed in Episode 2.
- Not all members of the cast move in together. Surprise, surprise when they get to meet their housemates/rivals.